Recently, someone I respect described me as "principled". He was referring to my general commitment to the principle of Sabbath, and was encouraged to take up the practice himself. This comment sparked an inner conversation in me - I have been mulling it over for a few days now.
That comment led me to thinking about principles and the way they function in my life. Is that not a universal thing? Is this a particular strength of mine that I have not really identified in such a way?
Almost everything I do arises out of my principles. I make home-made yogourt in order to save plastic containers from the landfill (environmental stewardship) and because it probably saves us some money in the end (financial stewardship); and because we value healthy eating and yogourt is a part of that for us.
We make space in our life for social gatherings and dinners with friends and family - because hospitality and relationship are our values. Almost at every turn, when faced with a decision, no matter how small, it seems that principles come into play. I'll choose this (or that) on the basis of principle.
What we eat, where we shop, what we clean with and how often, how we spend our money, what we wear - this is faith in action. Faith embodied in various broad principles.
I imagine that most people function with governing principles, but perhaps not everyone is as intentional about choosing which principles they shall follow. I am glad that my principles provide an inspiration and a challenge to others. I know I am inspired and challenged by the principled living of others.
----
on another note - I started 'strength training' in earnest today at the YMCA. Today was my first day of multiple 'reps. I am focussing for now on my upper body. Osteoporosis runs in my family (maternal side) and I know that strength training is one of the most important ways to guard against frailty in the bones. Besides, I value health (those pesky principles in play again)
Soon, I suppose, I should stop imbibing caffeine. That's another bone-killer. Sigh. I think I'll wait to give up caffeine till I'm finished with school!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
It's so heartwarming, Charleen, to read your blog and feel like I'm conversing over a cup of coffee with you. I'm getting inspired to begin my own blog, to do the same for my friends. And please do tell Brigitte happy birthday from me, too!
Rachael - What fun to have coffee with you and converse. I guess blogging is the next best thing to a coffee date. Wasn't it just over a year ago that we did just that in Chicago? I'd love to read your blog. It could be so much fun! You could post your drawings, too!
Brigitte says hi back to you. She remembered you as the roommate who drew and danced. :)
Post a Comment