Saturday, January 27, 2007

Simple Pleasures

We're in a bit of a pause time right now. After the rush of interterm coursework. After the people-time of Pastors week, when 200 pastors descended on our campus (including our cousin Tim). We spent a lot of time with people - worshipping together, workshops, and then setting aside time for tea, dinner, lunch, etc. with friends and family. Kendall knows more people than I do in such an event, but it's a rich time of friendship building for me as well.

But after everyone leaves, the snow and the dust settle, and we discover that we're really tired. It's time to simplify and sleep in. And take in simple pleasures. Drink hot chocolate while the snow gently falls outside.

Today, I cut Kendall's hair. It's one of our simple pleasures. We use an electric cutter - I call it the 'zhoom zhoom thing'. We set it to #2, and I go around the head in various patterns, trim around his bald spot, his neck and around his ears. Hair falls to the floor in interesting patterns. Time seems to slow down during this intimate household ritual. The whole event takes less than five minutes, but somehow it's special time. A simple pleasure.

Next week the second semester begins in earnest. I'm sure I'll fall behind within the first week of class, and the pressure will be on. I have two major papers due within the first few weeks of the semester. Kendall has one as well. So... for now, I'll savour the simple pleasures. And look forward to those simple pleasures in the midst of those mid-semester-craziness moments in the weeks and months to come.

1 comment:

Rachael said...

Hey Charleen, Thanks for the photos of Indiana woodlands and picturesque descriptions of your daily life. Ya, I'd like to get a blog too!
Your ruminations are so interesting. I think heresy and orthodoxy must create a healthy dynamic, with core Christian beliefs being the rich space in between, something we're constantly refining and defining as times change.
That's a good reminder for me...I fear too sometimes that I'm overly open to 'heretical' ideas in my own explorations and questions...much more so in the eyes of others, though, than of God. It's encouraging to remember this core, which can be found no matter where I am.
Rachael