The kids in this part of the world get 'Windchill Days'. It's not snowing or blizzarding, but they stay home because it's too cold outside (with the windchill factor). They've been home for two days now. The logic is that it's too cold for kids to wait for the bus or walk to school. Maybe I sound like a Canadian small-town kid who 'don't know nothin'... but I don't get it. It seems to me that this doesn't happen in Ontario (or anywhere in Canada). If someone can tell me differently, I'd like to hear about it.
It seems to me that the weather here in northern Indiana is pretty much identical to the weather in southern Ontario; what's different is the attitude. People in Ontario expect the cold, prepare for it, and 'tough it out'. Kids get bundled up and sent outside. sometimes recess gets cut short. Isn't it so, Canadians? Here, they stay in from recess if it's -5 celcius. That means they've been inside for recess over 2 weeks! (poor teachers, they must be going crazy...)
Now, the logic is that poorer kids don't have the warm hats, mitts and coats. Perhaps. But the issue isn't that clear. First off, let's get hats, mitts and coats for the kids...
But those same kids might be staying home on these days in under-heated houses. There's a possibility that if they can't afford hats, mitts and scarves, perhaps they can't afford heat. It's a very common problem. So they're sent home from school to stay in an underheated apartment.
And then - their parents have to wrestle with child care arrangements, possibly jeapordizing their employment (should they have employment). Are windchill days the best for these families?
I'm not convinced that wind-chill days are that good for the poorer kids in this community.
I think that the kids should be welcomed to school even in this weather, and that their valuable education shouldn't be disrupted by the cold. But I'm not from around here, so what do I know?
I've always loved snow days, being 'snowed in'. That always meant that I spent the day outside in the snow. I think if I had a 'windchill day' as a kid, I'd probably have spent a good chunk of it outside as well. I knew how to bundle myself up so no skin was showing... and how to fun in the snow. Sigh... perhaps I'm just nostalgic. Forgive me.
I'm still thoroughly enjoying the cold snap, and get out once a day for a 'tromp' around campus to enjoy the snow and the sun on the snow. It's so brilliant in this weather. I even need my sunglasses!
I'm a bit jealous of my dad, who's skiing for the week in BC with my uncle and cousin and some of his friends. He's apparently having a fabulous time - and who would doubt that? They're skiing around Kimberly, BC, staying at my cousin Pete Bootsma's chalet in the mountains. Fun. They've spent an evening at the hot springs as well.
Winter fun.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Things just ain't as they used to be, Charleen! Ironically, kids have warmer snowsuits now than years ago but we are so afraid to let them go out. Here in Ontario (in our area) they are kept inside during recess if the windchill factor is -20 (I think) I would rather they go outside for even 10 minutes than stay inside all day. But the administration makes the call and the teachers have to go along with it. Our kids have been kept inside for the past two days. I'm sure hoping they will be able to go outside tomorrow. They need that time to "get the cobwebs" out!
I volunteered to go out for yard duty to supervise kids on the primary side since I have my snowmobile suit at school. But that didn't fly.
To my way of thinking, it is a vicious circle..kids are kept inside because it's cold, so the next day they don't wear the proper warm clothes, so they have to stay inside because they're not dressed properly. AND parents don't make sure kids are dressed warmly because they will be kept indoors anyway.
But you just go out and enjoy the cold. Don't let what others do stop you from enjoying it!
The issue isn't so much the actual severity of the weather, but the relative severity compared to what we're used to. In my 11 years in Northern IN, I can't remember a wind-chill cancellation until this year. The assumption is that we are inadequately prepared for atypical weather. That week of weather was darn cold by Indiana standards. I don't remember weather that cold for that long since I was in High School. It doesn't make much sense to constantly prepare for weather that comes around once a decade or so.
Post a Comment