Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Six Imposssible Things Before Breakfast

It hardly seems fair that it's already Tuesday. My precious Spring Break is slipping away from me, and I've hardly gotten started on my 'list'! I was going to have the house cleaned from top to bottom by now! I was going to have written a paper and started a sermon and baked bread and called my brother and gone shopping for new running shoes and taken the car in for some repairs and ... I guess it's only been two days. And I've been tired. But I do long a bit for the impossible... sometimes.

I'm thinking about 'impossible' right now, trying to give shape to the children's story this upcoming Sunday - Easter Sunday. I want to talk about faith - that the Christian faith is rooted in something that is technically 'impossible' but that we believe to be 'possible'. I'd love some help in this endeavour....

I've got some lines from Alice in Wonderland and Cinderella bouncing about in my head:

ALICE in WONDERLAND
Alice laughed: "There's no use trying," she said; "one can't believe impossible things."

"I daresay you haven't had much practice," said the Queen. "When I was younger, I always did it for half an hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast."

and CINDERELLA (the Disney version):

Godmother (singing): Impossible! But the world is full of zanies and fools who don't believe in sensible rules and won't believe what sensible people say..

and because these daft and dewey eyed dopes keep building up impossible hopes impossible things are happening every day!

And also this African American proverb: God makes a way where there ain't no way!

But I want to have more than just words... perhaps a song.... perhaps an action... or a story, or an example, or.... (help me, please?)

No comments: