Monday, April 16, 2007

Emmaus Road Days

Sunday was all about encountering Jesus on the Emmaus Road. We heard the story, we sang the story, we participated in a dramatic contemporary rendition of the story, we meditated on the story. And it was good. The sanctuary was all set up in tables; like we were at a banquet or something. I was at one of the youth tables, and one of them commented that in ordinary worship, we're directing our attention and focus on God; in this set up we're directing our attention at each other. Now, it's not that simple (and he didn't mean it to be that simple) but there are those dimensions. The vertical and the horizontal. And something about facing each other, talking to each other about the text and singing side by side around the table gives a solid experience of church as a community of folks discerning together what the will of God is.

I had fun leading the congregation in Bryan's Emmaus Road song. The kids were dancing. I don't have Bryan's facility with the guitar, but had two guitars and an electric bass jamming with me. Ah, it's fun. I guess there's more of a 'performer' in me than I generally give myself credit for. Kendall said that when we were rehearsing before the service, I seemed awkward, wouldn't sing into the mike, and it seemed tense. But when the kids were up front, the congregation was standing and singing, I was just having a great time. I was relaxed, enjoying the song and the experience. And celebrating the chance to bring this great story to life in another way.

It seems as though I'm in a bit of a 'troubadour' phase, since I'm bringing in another song for worship next week. I'm preaching next week on Acts 9:1-19, the story of Paul's call and his encounter with Ananias. And I am bringing in a song I remember well from my childhood, written by Ken Medema. The song's called 'Sittin' by the Window Prayin'" and tells that story from the perspective of Ananias. It's a fun song, refreshing in its outlook. I won't be singing that one (I hope). If it all works out, it will be sung/played by two other members of the congregation. :)

I'm looking forward to preaching; it's been a while since I've praught. (shouldn't that be the past tense? teach, taught; preach....)

The sun is out today, the trees are blooming, and life is just good. So I'm sending out my general well-wishes to the world. :)

2 comments:

Bryan Moyer Suderman said...

Glad to hear you're making good use of the song, Charlene!

(By the way, the link didn't work - it should be www.smalltallmusic.com rather than dot org, as you have it...)

As it happens, I also spoke/sang on the "Emmaus Road" text in Inman, Kansas on Sunday... (where I met some folks you know from canoe trips, and Kendall knows from Egypt...)

And, as it further happens (happens further...? and, further, as it happens more, as well...?), I also just got the new Ken Medema collection of songs on "The Offering As Worship"... looking forward to hearing that too...

So I guess we're on the same wavelength these days!

Charleen said...

I just fixed the link, so that should work now... thanks for the 'check'. I should have double-checked that.

Ah, how lovely to hear of N & E in Kansas. Their friendship is a special one for Kendall and I, since it's independent of either of us. It was such fun to send them our wedding invitation... I could almost hear them saying, "Kendall and Charleen? how do they know each other????"

About the 'same wavelength'; I'd guess so. Emmaus Road songs, Ken Medema. I don't mind being on the same wavelength; it's a good one.

Do let me know how you connect (or don't) with Ken Medema's new collection.